Call C# From R

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Looks like a great project! Had a quick question was hoping someone could help answer. Can R.NET also be used to call .NET code from within R? This would be useful for some things I am doing, and I figured someone here might have already tried.
Developer
Feb 17, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Hi,

I've been working on an R package to access .NET/Mono code: rClr. I am currently working towards a build process suitable for submission to CRAN (e.g. http://cran.csiro.au), as I think it is feature complete for a first release.

I am using this package to support the interactive testing of a large C# environmental modelling application, so it is more mature than the 'alpha' status suggests, if you want to try it. While my day job offers use cases, I would greatly appreciate external feedback and suggestions.

Note if you want to build from source: while I try to document and automate the build process, building packages for R can be tricky, and this is a particularly complicated one to build.

Regards
Feb 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I'm interested in callbacks: .net -> R -> .net ... for another large application.

The rcpp people made some really nice tools (eg automatic, in-line module packaging) for the same.
Developer
Feb 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Feature request indeed, so far as I know. Duly noted by the project coordinator I'm sure.
The rClr package was not designed to address this, though it binding to an existing .NET runtime rather than initializing a new one is probably be feasible.