RDotNet.REngine does not contain a definition for 'Install' and no extension method 'Install'

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Getting the following error in code when using the Nuget package for R.NET 1.5.16 when using the following code:
            // Set the required environment variables before starting the engine
            REngine.SetEnvironmentVariables();
            // create an instance of the engine
            _engine = REngine.GetInstance(null, true, null, CharacterDevice);
            // intialize the engine
            _engine.Initialize();
            // install our graphics device
            _engine.Install(GraphicsDevice);
where GraphicsDevice is an SvgGraphicsDevice that I am using to render any images that come back from an R calculation. The code is there to support it in the latest release. Is there a plan to release this to the Nuget package in the future?

'RDotNet.REngine' does not contain a definition for 'Install' and no extension method 'Install' accepting a first argument of type 'RDotNet.REngine' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I only ask because I am using R.NET 1.5.16 for an application and I would hate to push this into a production environment using the source (directly or indirectly via a compile) to satisfy the dependency. I'd rather depend upon Nuget for this.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can give.

sehunley
Oct 29, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Update: I meant to say, the extension that's in the Graphics library is not currently in the pre-release of the R.NET Graphics package on Nuget.

Thanks,

sehunley
Oct 29, 2014 at 10:48 PM
I only ask because I am using R.NET 1.5.16 for an application and I would hate to push this into a production environment using the source (directly or indirectly via a compile) to satisfy the dependency. I
At this moment, I believe that is the best way to do it. Out of curiosity, are you using the SvgGraphicsDevice from the onboarding project?
Developer
Oct 30, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Hi,

I am not maintaining the R.NET.Graphics part beyond making it compile and basic tests still pass. Just have no time that I can allocate to it. If you know how to improve something in it, you are welcome to submit a pull request, then things could be put in NuGet.

Talking about pull requests, I have merged one from skyguy94; it was a substantial merge so I have yet to release nuget packages.
Nov 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM
My apologies for not responding sooner.

Yes. I am currently using the SvgGraphics Device and some of that code to capture the images coming back from R, if there are any. It was simple enough and it did all that I needed it to do, capture all plots so that I can store them in a data store for the several uses at a later time by the user. We currently are using R.NET to allow our users to enter an R-Script, map n-many inputs and n-many outputs (variables/values only) then mapping and executing the script using those. If the script produces plots and/or files then I capture those and store them for review by the user. Is there a plan to upgrade the Graphics project to a production version?

Thanks,

sehunley
Nov 6, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Ok, that implementation is pretty buggy. I have a fixed version I need to push out, but I wouldn't go into production with that as is (unless you've fixed the issues). That device is separate from the R.Net Graphics project.

I will say that I've imported the graphics code into my custom R.Net version and it was fairly solid and only needed some minor fixes, most notably is the crash when calling dev.off(), graphics.off(), or q()